Lewisville Child Injury Lawyers
Child Injuries and Accidents
There is no greater pain for a parent than dealing with the emotional trauma of a child who has been seriously injured; especially if the injury was due to someone else's negligence or careless behavior. A child who sustains a serious injury is affected on a physical and emotional level. Depending on the injury, the medical costs can be exorbitant and parents will often miss work to take care of the injured child. Even though you know that there are risks involved when you leave your child in someone's care, you have every right to expect that your child will be safe and well-cared for in your absence. The most recent information from the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control tells us that injury is the leading cause of death in children in the United States.
Statistics on Common Child Injuries
- Falls account for one-third of all visits to hospital emergency rooms for children under the age of 14.
- Bicycle related injuries result in over 250,000 hospitalizations per year for children ages 14 and under, with traumatic brain injury being the most common injury.
- Drowning is the leading cause of death among children ages 1 to 14.
- Suffocation or airway obstruction is the leading cause of death among infants under the age of one.
Other causes of serious injury to children include burns, firearms, choking, poisoning, defective products, dog bites, child molestation, sexual abuse, car accidents, playground injuries, fireworks injuries, sports related injuries, and daycare mistreatment.
Protecting Your Child
Although you cannot protect your child from every possible danger, there are some things to look for in choosing a day care facility for your child. It may be possible to improve the chances that your child will be safe and well supervised if you know what to look for:
- What is the staff to child ratio?
- Is the day care center licensed?
- Do the children at the center seem to be having a pleasant experience?
- Does the center require proof of immunizations?
- Does the playground equipment look safe?
- Is the napping area clean?
- Does the kitchen follow nutritional standards that meet your expectations?
- How is conflict managed?
- What safety features are in place?
Recognizing Signs of Abuse
If your child is showing signs that you feel may signal abuse or mistreatment, you will want experienced and compassionate legal representation on behalf of your child. Steele Law provides experienced legal help to children who have sustained injuries of all types; physical, emotional, and sexual. Lewisville personal injury lawyer, Ms. Steele of Steele Law provides the type of care that we would give to our own family members. We will aggressively pursue negligent parties and pursue all avenues of the law to find the most successful compensation package for your child's injuries. We understand that for the best possible outcome, you may need damages for not only medical costs, but future treatment and care, psychological services, rehabilitation or home modifications, pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of quality of life and present and future lost wages.
Free Confidential, Consultation
If your child has been injured due to someone's negligence or an intentional act, child injury attorney Ms. Steele of Steele Law will provide compassionate and confidential legal representation on behalf of your family. Call (214) 333-9393 for your free consultation.
- When Should We Switch to a Forward-Facing Car Seat?
- Swim Safely with Your Kids This Summer: Know the Risks
- Fingerprint Your Child
- Child Safety and Injury Prevention
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services
- Health Topics Related to Children and Teenagers - MedlinePlus